Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dining Room Catch-up

In this post, I'll try to catch you up on all that has happened in the dining room since we moved in.  Everything that was changed in the living room and the dining room was happening simultaneously so sorry for the lack of good chronological order in my posts!

First things first, since the whole house was antique white, trim and walls, I decided I wanted to paint the dining room in addition to painting the living room because I wanted to get a little more contrast so the trim would pop more.  I was just going to go with a darker neutral shade, a light tan.  However, Trey got involved with the paint samples and suggested we try something darker or something greener.  Here are the four colors we decided to get samples of.



I was going to paint the dining room the top left color - Mushroom Bisque (Behr Premium Plus Ultra).  Trey accompanied me to Home Depot and grabbed the other three colors - clockwise from top right is Pure Earth (BPPU), Exploring Khaki (BPPU), and Lion (Behr Premium Plus).  After putting all four on the wall and checking it out in daylight and artificial light, we settled on Lion, a pale sage green color. 

After the paint, came the furniture.  We purchased the dining room set and china hutch from a family friend for a great deal (Thanks Celeste!!) and put it in the room.  We still didn't have a rug yet, but we were expecting our first house guest (post coming soon) and I wanted to have as much of the house looking normal as possible. (Ignore the boxes in the hutch picture, we hadn't put all our china up yet)



As you can see, the walls turned out quite nicely!  The color also looks beautiful with the blue of the living room in your line of sight so that's just an added bonus.

A few days later my mom sent me an email saying that JCPenny was having a huge home decor sale, with some of their rugs being as much as half off!  Jackpot!  So I hopped online and found a 100% wool rug that was almost half off and ordered it.  Mom was kind enough to purchase it for us as a housewarming gift which made it all the more wonderful.  Here's a shot of it.


It has the same color green as the walls and helps to bring in more color variety than I'm afraid I would have been able to do without the rug!  Here's a shot of the whole room, keep in mind that this is still a work in progress.

The drapes were left by the previous owner and I'm still undecided on them.  I tied them up so they wouldn't get in the paint.  Future plans for this room include getting the table "set" with a centerpiece and pulling out our chargers, napkins, etc, getting a console table for the blank wall you see at the back of the picture, hanging the mirror you see at the back on the wall it is leaning against, and getting a new light fixture.  The current glass and brass fixture just isn't working for me.  In the living room, we mixed more traditional lines and accents with the contemporary lines of the furniture we already had before moving here.  With this furniture being much more traditional, I'm thinking of a more contemporary light fixture, maybe a linen pendant similar to this one on overstock.com.

Or this one...

Who knows!  So, that's where we are with the dining room so far.  More updates to come!

1 comment:

  1. I like the first light. While not your traditional chandelier, I think the glass pieced help sort of transition it from traditional to the contemporary aspects.

    ReplyDelete