Saturday, September 25, 2010

Closing time - every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

We moved to Central Alabama, Prattville specifically, Halloween weekend 2009 for a new job for me.  On August 25th 2010, we started anew in Montgomery, Alabama, closing on our first home!  This new beginning came from the none-too-early end of our beginning in Prattville.

We didn't move anything into the house the day we closed because the very next day we were commissioning some work to be done on our floors (post to come).  Trey tells a much more colorful version of our first night in the house, so I'll let him tell it!

So, Amanda and I are a little sore this morning, but elated to finally have OUR house!   With the guys coming in today to refinish the hardwood floors, we couldn’t move in any real furniture yesterday, but we just couldn’t keep ourselves from staying there last night.  So, Amanda crafted a wonderful bedding solution while I was in class last night—a twin size blow up mattress flanked by a sleeping bag in the middle of our bedroom.

Well, as you all know, I am quite the gentleman; so, I happily gave the luxurious air mattress to my beautiful bride.  But, as soon as I laid my head/hip on the sleeping bag, I found out that hardwood floors are…well, HARD!  So, I talked Amanda into splitting the TINY twin air mattress with me, and it is a good thing both of us exercise pretty regularly.  Guys, you couldn’t have fit a paper clip between us; we were crammed on that thing like sardines!

Well, if any of you have witnessed Amanda sleep, you might of notice that she tends to twitch a little while falling to sleep.  Heck, who am I kidding, Amanda CONVULSES when she falls asleep!  So, we’re crammed on this air mattress like it’s a life-raft in the middle of the Caribbean, and about the time Amanda has her first seizure of the night, the house settles and I hear a loud POP!  Now, I am a self-proclaimed chicken, and I have already convinced myself that there are some lingering “spirits” in our house.  So, when these two events coincided, I jumped maybe three feet off that mattress!  After that, I was able to convince myself fall asleep, and everything was cool until this morning…

One of the first things Amanda says after she wakes up this morning is, “CRAP!  I forgot to pack any towels!  What are we going to do?”  After scratching our heads for a few minutes, we put our engineering training to good use, and figured out the perfect solution.  Let’s just say that if you ever sleep on our twin-size sheets you might get a faint whiff of coconut shampoo and Suave body wash…:)

Needless to say, it was a fun and memorable first night in the house, and now, we have a good story to tell our kids one day…

(Amanda again) The next morning, we made sure to take pictures of the way everything looked before so we could do some good comparison pictures later.  We also made sure to take a picture of us in front of our door numbers.
 
Hope you all enjoyed the story of our first night!

1 comment:

  1. So, Trey has officially won himself some necessary guest appearances on the ole blogfront. Thoroughly enjoyed his rendition of the story.

    If I feel the need to post a comment on every entry, does that make me a stalker? Or maybe I just miss not living in the same town as my good friend. Yep, we'll go with the latter.

    ReplyDelete