Saturday, September 25, 2010

Craig's List, what a steal!

I have this friend in Birmingham, Lanie, and I'm pretty sure we are twins born 4 days apart and separated at birth.  She and her mom, Gwen, are the best bargain shoppers I have ever seen!  There is an amazing story behind almost every piece in her home about the deal that she got (just ask her about the $0.01 rug).  Maybe she should have her own blog...

Many of you are aware of Craig's List in a, "don't answer solicitations or you might be murdered," kind of way.  I'll admit, until Lanie, I had never been on the website.  Our new home is a 3BR/2B house and as you might have remembered from the Catch Up post, we were still using college furniture.  This just meant that we had one full bedroom suit and a futon (which we actually sold while still in Prattville).  We needed two more beds!  Enter Craig's List.  I found this jewel for only $200.


Yep folks, that's right, a headboard, bed frame, box springs, and SERTA MATTRESS that had been situated, unused, in a spare bedroom for 2 years for only $200.  Aren't you proud Lanie?!

I was perusing the website a few weeks later looking for a mirror to hang just inside the front door.  I was looking for something with a traditional touch since we are trying to soften some of our more contemporary furniture in such a traditional home.  I found this antique powder room mirror in Hoover.


I'm afraid the seller didn't realize the value of what she had until it was too late!  This beaut was listed for only $20!  At the close of the transaction the seller made the comment that her mother was upset with her for selling something so valuable for such a cheap price but that she didn't know it was expensive.  I hated capitalizing on her mistake, but I wasn't about to pay more than what it was originally listed for. 

So, long story short, if you need something and don't mind it being owned by someone else first (which usually depreciates the item's resale value exponentially), check out Craig's List!  Happy hunting!

2 comments:

  1. I am SO proud! Thanks for the shout-out. I enjoy seeing pics of the items I had only heard talk about previously. Yeah, mom needs the all-star blog, not me (cough, cough... GNO May '09). Remember, like anything else you must shop cautiously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does the mirror have like a story behind it, like some ancient queens mirror that was hung in her castle?

    ReplyDelete