Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'm a total copycat

You’ve probably seen a burlap pillow of some sort in Pottery Barn, Ballard’s Designs, or one of the million other catalogs just like these two.  Some are plain, some have script, some are multi-colored, etc.  I don’t know if a lot of this exists right now anywhere but “home project blog world,” but I am loving all the things that have crude stenciling on them.  Kinda like this sign I made a while back,
  

I have mentioned before that I’m not creative, and it’s true.  Every single crafty thing I’ve done in my home, I have copied from someone else.  Like the sign above, or the kitchen stencil, or the attempted mirror collage (which ended up not working out).  So I blended the burlap pillow and crude stencil together to copy Mrs. DIY and the Tennis Guy’s  idea with my own twist (see the link for her tutorial).  I did it pretty much exactly like she did – cutting the burlap, stenciling (I used the exact same paint combination and stencils I bought for the sign I made),


and gluing (I used Aleene's "OK To Wash It" fabric glue from Michaels)!


And here’s what I ended up with.


Total dollars spent - $15 (~$5 each for glue, fabric, and pillow at JoAnn’s Fabrics). 

Its resting place is another interesting story.  Trey decided to clean out our garage recently and found this little chair inside.  I cleaned it up and it now sits in the guest bedroom with the new pillow. 


I’m thinking about painting it and trying to make it look antique based on some techniques I’ve been reading about lately.  We’ll see how that works out.  For now, I’m just going to enjoy my latest copycat project!

No comments:

Post a Comment